- BumblePuppy Press
- Sorta Fact
- Sorta Fiction
- July 16, 2011 - July 31, 2011
- Shorten URLs
- July 3, 2011 - July 15, 2011
- Presenting ... BumblePuppy Press
- June 16, 2011 - June 30, 2011
The Old Man's Last Sauna
Submitted by Geoffrey Dow on Mon, 2013-10-21 02:44
Spread the word!
"Life is scary, frustrating and sometimes funny. All of these themes are explored in Carl Dow’s collection of short stories, told with the pristine elegance that we haven’t seen since the likes of Stephen Leacock or even Pierre Berton." — From a review by award-winning author Emily-Jane Hills Orford
The Old Man's Last Sauna
• Ecstasy . . . in a motorcyclist’s diary
• Light . . . from a man’s darkest region
• Truth . . . at the heart of a child’s ‘lies’
• Mystery . . . in shape of a yellow schoolbus
• No fear . . . but flying? O yes!
• Surrender . . . as a young heiress’ liberation
• Rules . . . always meant to be broken
• Wisdom . . . in the loss of a Nazi’s car
• Torture . . . in the name of democracy
• Love . . . unlikely and almost unspeakable
From odes to loves found and loves lost, to a clear-eyed look at what it takes to destroy a strong man; from the web of love between a mother and a son, to a father’s understanding of the difference between his child’s imagination and the lies that lurk in the minds of the boy’s grandparents . . .
With his debut as a writer of fiction, Carl Dow, whom then-editor of Canadian Magazine named as one of Canada's 10 best writers when he was writing for national magazines, offers a truly eclectic selection of stories that will move, amuse and even shock with their subtle explorations of the human spirit.
The Old Man’s Last Sauna introduces a powerful voice for the 21st century, born of the turmoil, violence and struggle for justice and understanding that marked so much of the 20th.
To order an autographed copy of The Old Man's Last Sauna directly from the publisher, please click here.
For information on how to order either the ebook version, or a copy of our (very slightly revised) 2nd edition, please click here.
If you would like to be informed of new BumblePuppy Press releases and events, we will soon be launching a mailing list. To be added to it, for now please use the Edifice Rex contact form here. Please include your name and email address and include "Mailing List Request" in the subject line to make sure your email doesn't get lost in our spam filter. Note: We will send you an opt-in email when the list is launched, and you'll be able to unsubscribe at any time. And of course, we won't sell (or give) your contact information to anyone else.